benefits of NABERS
Improve the rental yield, capital value and tenant stickiness of your building. A high NABERS rating is considered a symbol of sustainability leadership and good management. Buildings with high ratings demonstrate the following benefits:
Building owners, managers and lessors
- More competitive – efficient buildings are easier to sell and lease
- Reduced vacancies
- Lower tenant turnover (improved ‘stickiness’)
- Higher future capital value (up to 9% premium)
- Higher rental yield
- Increased ability to secure government tenants
Tenants and buyers
- Lower operating costs
- Improved ability to attract and retain staff
- Improved productivity
- Improved workplace health and safety
- Improved comfort and general wellbeing
What is NABERS?
NABERS (National Australian Built Environment Rating System) is a national rating system that measures the environmental performance of Australian buildings.
A NABERS assessment can be conducted for:
- Office buildings
- Data centres
- Shopping centres.
It measures energy efficiency and optionally water usage, waste management and indoor environment quality.
How does the star rating work?
The performance of your building or tenancy is compared to the performance of other similar buildings in the same location.
A zero to six star rating is assigned.
NABERS rating scale
- 6 stars - Market leading performance
- 5 stars - Excellent performance
- 4 stars - Good performance
- 3 stars - Average performance
- 2 stars - Below average performance
- 1 star - Poor performance
- 0 stars - Very poor performance
Office buildings and mandatory disclosure
Commercial Building Disclosure
The Commercial Building Disclosure (CBD) program is a national program created by the Department of the Environment and Energy that sets mandatory disclosure rules for office spaces.
At the point of lease or sale, office building owners/lessors of spaces must:
- obtain a Building Energy Efficiency Certificate (BEEC)
- disclose their NABERS star rating in advertisements.
Currently - applies to spaces >2000m2
1st July 2017 - applies to spaces >1000m2
Business Energy Efficiency Certificate
A Building Energy Efficiency Certificate (BEEC) consists of:
- NABERS assessment
- Conducted every year
- Tenancy Lighting Assessment
- Lighting assessment for the area of the building being sold, leased or sub-leased
- Conducted every five years
Who is affected?
who are selling or leasing office space
who are subleasing part of their tenancy
Real Estate Agents
who are advertising office space
How to get a BEEC
How we can help with nabers
If your office space is subject to Commercial Building Disclosure obligations (for spaces > 1000m2) our accredited assessors will:
- conduct a NABERS assessment
- conduct a Tenancy Lighting Assessment
- look after all paperwork to lodge your BEEC.
2. NABERS only
We can also conduct NABERS assessments for office spaces not covered by mandatory disclosure legislation (ie smaller than 1000m2).
NABERS assessments can also be conducted for:
- shopping centres
- data centres
3. Energy efficiency opportunty report
An assessment alone won’t reduce your energy costs but is an important first step to benchmark your energy usage. The most important leg of this journey is what you choose to do AFTER your assessment.
On completion of your assessment, we will prepare an Energy Efficiency Opportunty Report for you. This is a high level overview of options to improve your NABERS rating and save energy costs. It may include considerations such as:
- power monitoring
- peak load analysis.
If you choose to investigate any of these opportunities further, we can prepare a free, no obligation quote.
Call 1300 721 335 or